The Royal School’s International Department welcomes pupils from all over the world. We understand how it feels to be in a different environment away from home and in a significantly new culture. All of the teachers in our department have lived, studied and taught in other countries outside the UK. Licensed by the UKVI as a Tier 4 sponsor, we have an excellent track record of sponsoring Tier 4 pupils and their visa applications.
Our international pupils do not have English as their first language and therefore we recognise that they need additional support in order to gain the most from their studies across the curriculum. English language learners work towards internationally recognised qualifications including Cambridge University Language Assessment Examinations (e.g. IELTS) and IGCSE in English as a Second Language. These ensure our students are fully equipped with the correct language requirements for university entrance.
Pupils who are new to the school also participate in British Cultural Programme classes where they learn about customs and traditions in the UK. We believe these classes are invaluable in helping newcomers settle in to British life both in and out of the school.
International Academic Courses
Years 8 - 9 (age 12-14)
- Pupils are fully immersed in the school, joining the main school for the majority of their lessons whilst receiving intensive English language tuition.
- Each pupil's curriculum is recommended by the Deputy Head Academic following the School’s own assessment papers, interview and recent school reports.
- All International pupils are reassessed when they first join the school.
- International pupils joining in Year 7 benefit significantly from joining the school at this age.
Years 10 - 11 (Two Year GCSE Course)
- Depending on the pupil’s age and English ability, they may be offered a place on the two year GCSE course.
- Pupils can study up to 9 GCSEs in addition to an English language qualification.
- Pupils completing the two year course may apply to join the school’s Sixth Form to continue their studies.
- On all courses at the school pupils’ timetables will include the British Cultural Programme, Sport and PSHE/RSE (Personal, Social and Health Education/Relationships and Sex Education).
Years 12 - 13
- All international students study IELTS (International English Language Testing System) which is required for university. The students take the examination in Year 13.
British Cultural Programme
The Royal School recognises the need to not just educate International pupils in the English language, but to also educate pupils in the British culture. Pupils have informal discussions and conduct research on a variety of topics including the British Political System, bank accounts, Shakespeare, Jane Austen, British cities, important festivals and celebrations and other areas of interest such as table manners, supermarket shopping and many things that do not fall in the normal curriculum. The programme is tailored to meet each group’s particular needs and interests.
The school’s excellent location near the market town of Haslemere and to London allows for trips to restaurants, heritage visits and shopping!