A heritage dating back to 1840:
The Royal School came into existence in 1995 as a result of a merger between the Royal Naval School (founded in 1840) and The Grove School (founded in 1858). Both ‘mother’ schools were devoted to the cause of women’s education and enabling women to be independent, concepts that were revolutionary at that time. There is a thriving network of Old Girls from the RNS and The Grove, joined each year by girls from The Royal School.
HRH The Princess Royal attends events regularly:
Queen Victoria was a founder donor in 1840 and since then the School has maintained its connection with the Royal family. HM The Queen is our Patron and HRH The Princess Royal is our President. Recently we have welcomed The Princess Royal to Prize Days (2004, 2008 and 2010), a garden party (2008) and a Trafalgar dinner (2005).